Saturday, March 24, 2012

Photo Hunting, The Grind, Being a Deer

Yesterday I had the day off, so I went out to take some photos for my class. I felt so artsy eating breakfast on the road and searching for photo ops. I like working with people more than inanimate objects but I have a hard time enlisting subjects to willingly have their photo taken :/

So off to Enoch I went! I drove around forever trying to find something interesting but it was all just houses and old farm equipment (which I am sick of photographing), after about a half hour of nothing, I headed to Parowan. Again, nothing, a bunch of houses. I'm nervous to photograph people's homes or things in their yards because I'd have to ask permission (or be shot at haha) and you never know who lives there, dunno why but it just creeps me right out, so I don't do it. I gave up on Parowan and decided to head back to Cedar. On my way down the freeway I saw my sign. Literally, it was a huge sign saying "SUNSHINE- CLOSED". An old, abandoned gas station called Sunshine was just chilling there, waiting for me to take pictures of it. There's an old shop on the premises too, so I shot it. This was my favorite from that series:  

I apologize for the editing, I don't have photoshop yet so I'm just using an online one. I do like this filter though.
 On the side of the gas station, there was a brick wall caved in like someone had run their car into it, then tagged the brick. It's pretty awesome looking and would be a fun background for outfit pictures:

You can kind of see the indention in this picture where the bricks look all wavy
After some successful shooting, my tummy reminded me to eat something so I headed to Cedar to find a nice, quiet cafe to munch at while I reviewed my pictures and made a game plan for new ideas. I hadn't been to The Grind in a long time (like, 4 years) and the last I was there it was just a coffee place. But I saw their sign said cafe so I thought, mm why not? I am so glad I went! It is perfectly built for lounging, munching DELISH bagel sandwiches, sipping smoothies and working on creative endeavors. If we had the money, I would eat there every day, just to get some quiet time in without having to be at home. Here's what I got: a turkey club with havarti cheese and some awesome sauce I don't remember the name of.


Plus, it came with probably the most delicious potato salad I've ever had. I am so excited I found a nice little hang out! Lunch was made even better when Jared got off work early and joined me! We perused the book store that's attached (Braun Books) then went our ways again. I had to develop the film I took today and I am happy to say that they turned out amazing! A couple are pretty blurry but I was kind of expecting it, so not much of a loss there. Once I get them scanned and cleaned up, I'll throw 'em up on the blog. The Holga pictures are interesting but I don't know if I'm sold on it, I like color too much and not spending $5 for 12 pictures I'm not sure will come out right haha.

Jared's sister, Keri and her daughter, Paisley came to visit, so we spent the evening in Kanarraville eating homemade chicken strips and french fries (Pais's favorites) and catching up. I was lucky enough to find a deer antler hat (like the BK crowns) and hid while Paisley hunted me with a cork/pop gun! It was so much fun! I was a pretty stupid deer and got shot about 20 times throughout the evening!

Needless to say, today has been an amazing day! If every day were like today, I would probably be the happiest person on the Earth. Seriously. I am making it a goal now to have more days like today and thoroughly enjoy my time!

1 comment:

  1. If we lived there I would let you take pictures of Claire :) and that gas station my dad used to work there when he was going to school crazy huh?! I remember going there when I was little to visit him at work, crazy stuff

    ReplyDelete