Friday, October 14, 2011

Beating My Fears

So this one might start out a little negative but I promise it will end happy. I have just encountered so many ornery and rude people today that it astounds me. I don't know if it's because I have really been trying to focus on being a peaceful person recently but other people's negativity just hurts me. I feel like the world has become so extremely desensitized to other people's feelings. Today I heard someone just snap at another person because they didn't know the rules of something. Ignorance is no reason to snap at someone. Really, there is no reason to ever snap at anyone. Impatience is just anger in a different form. I must know a lot of people with pent up anger issues because I am astounded at how many of them just let negativity brew inside of them.

Okay, being honest, yes I was once one of those people. But I recognized it, hated it, and changed it. I don't understand how people don't see how unhappy they really are. I wonder sometimes what kind of effect I have on other people. Are people happier after an encounter with me? Discouraged? Enlightened? Depressed? I want to have a positive effect on people, but in order to do that, I must be positive. I spoke with someone today, just asking how they were, they replied with an indifferent and exhausted "great" without even looking at me. I figured they were having a bad day and decided to just leave them alone (for this person, it's better that way). Then not two minutes later another person walked by my friend and they asked that other person how they were and yadda ya for a few minutes... Is it me? Did they just not want to talk to me? Or am I close enough that they know they don't have to put on a show and can say how they really feel? I was left befuddled. I didn't dwell on it too long because that will just get me down but it really got me thinking. Do I make the world and the people in it better? Do I contribute, even just a little bit, every day to the happiness of society? Something to think about.

Now onto something light and friendly :) It is Fall Break this weekend and I am extremely excited! Jared and I are going canyoneering with our Canyoneering class tomorrow for most of the day and I am terrified/stoked. The terrified part comes in part because I broke my back falling off a cliff similar to the ones I will be walking off backwards tomorrow, and partly because, well, I'm going to be walking off a cliff backwards. :) But I am incredibly excited to beat this fear of heights that I have carried around with me for 5 years. I have no doubt I will probably feel nauseous and dizzy until I'm out on the wall but it is going to be worth it. I can't wait for the triumphant feeling of beating a fear into the ground and never letting it back in my life.

Photo courtesy of pinterest.com
This is my motto for the week and I am going to be as curious as I can be! I'm really excited to have a break and maybe get caught up some crafty projects and just play around with fun ideas :) I am going to try thrifting for shoes. A girl in my art class always has the most adorable shoes and she's found them all at thrift stores here in town! So I am determined to at least go searching. It is going to be an adventure, and I could really use an adventure to get my mind off of school ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment