Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Backpacking anyone?

With the weather hopefully warming up soon, mine and Jared's thoughts have turned to... backpacking! and camping! Haha my last backpacking adventure was... less than successful. But I really didn't realize how terribly out of shape I was at the time. Jared has been gung ho to go backpacking so I need to get my butt in gear and start getting ready! It should be easier than the last try because I've lost 20 pounds! I honestly don't know where it was hiding on my body (jk, really it was practically all in my butt- I don't think I've ever had muscle in my butt and just never realized I should! haha) but wow I feel a whole lot better than I did 6 months ago!

Unfortunately, I don't really have a picture of myself 6 months ago that I can compare to today. I really wasn't trying to lose weight, so it was a pleasant surprise! Before you get all mad and jealous and say, why can't I do that? read the next sentence. Jared has been way hard core on getting in shape and has lost over 50 pounds! He's so amazing! He is my inspiration! He started pushing himself to eating better and exercising and so I ate what he ate (for the most part) and exercised when he did (not quite as much, but still way better than I was before!). I learned that I really enjoy being healthy! And once you really make the change, it's hard to go back. Sure, we eat sweets still and indulge in fast food (which now tastes pretty gross and only eaten when we're in a huge hurry), but when we're eating like we should and exercising, we can afford to have some sugary goodness!

So now we want to go backpacking, and I'm trying to find good places for beginner backpackers. Let's face it, Jared might be hard core and ready to tackle difficult hikes, but I want my next backpacking experience to be a positive experience and I don't think pushing myself super hard would make me want to keep trying to love the sport.

Anyway, if anyone knows of cool backpacking hikes in the southern Nevada/ Utah/ Arizona area, let me know! We want to do something that's not a super hard hike and a place you can camp for a couple days and do day hikes or something, or just hang out and write and take pictures :) Wish me luck in my search!

No comments:

Post a Comment